Sunday, April 7, 2013

Funds of Knowledge

As teachers, we need to be considerate of the infliuence and learning environment that our students face at home.  After reading the article, A Thrice-Learned Lesson from the Literature Life of a Five-Year-Old, I gained an insight on just how important the home life of students is to their success in the world outside of the classroom.  Norton-Meier discusses a little boy whom she encounters as a teacher.  She considered this students a struggling reading within her clasroom, but once she saw how he could read within his home environment she was amazed at his ability.  This article stresses the importance of the Funds of Knowledge our kids bring to our classrooms and take back home with them.  I want to invite more of my studnets home culture and Spanish language and experiences into my classroom.  I have not figured out how to start this and have serveral questions about how it will work, but I think I can start with something small and see what this brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment